Monday, August 13, 2012

L.A Candy By: Lauren Conrad


Title: L.A Candy
Author: Lauren Conrad
Pages: 325
Level: Young Adult
Published: June 6, 2009

Los Angeles is all about the sweet life: hot clubs, cute guys, designer . . . everything . Nineteen-year-old Jane Roberts can't wait to start living it up. She may be in L.A. for an internship, but Jane plans to play as hard as she works, and has enlisted her BFF Scarlett to join in the fun. When Jane and Scarlett are approached by a producer who wants them to be on his new series, a "reality version of Sex and the City ," they can hardly believe their luck. Their own show? Yes, please! Soon Jane is TV's hottest star. Fame brings more than she ever imagined possible for a girl from Santa Barbara—free designer clothes, the choicest tables at the most exclusive clubs, invites to Hollywood premieres—and she's lapping up the VIP treatment with her eclectic entourage of new pals. But those same friends who are always up for a wild night are also out for a piece of Jane's spotlight. In a city filled with people chasing after their dreams, it's not long before Jane wakes up to the reality that everyone wants something from her, and nothing is what it seems to be. L.A. Candy is a deliciously entertaining novel about what it's like to come of age in Hollywood while starring in a reality TV show, written by a girl who has experienced it all firsthand: Lauren Conrad.

Review: 
Generally I can’t stand books that are based around this subject because it seems so fake, but I always end up reading them anyways. 

I did not like any of the characters, at all. I thought Madison was ridiculously fake and couldn’t stand reading about her. Jane was ugh, way too peppy. Gabby was…well Gabby. She wasn’t really in the book and when she was I just felt bad for her. Scarlett, I liked Scarlett at the beginning of the book, but as it progressed she seemed to turn into a snob and it bugged me. 

I have problems with these type of realistic fiction books because they make me feel so bad. When something bad happens to one of the characters I feel it just as much as they do and I think that’s one of the reasons I try and stay away, but I always find them anyways. 

While I was reading the book, I was deciding if I was going to want to read the next one. I really don’t want to get wrapped up in another series like The A-List, but end of the book actually left me wanting to read the next one. I’m excited to pick it up to see what happened. 
Cover: 3/5
Character Rating: 1/5
Style: 4/5
Plot Development: 3/5
Overall: ***



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message after the beep.
Beeeeeeeep.