Sunday, April 1, 2012

Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

          
Title: Imaginary Girls
Author: Nova Ren Suma
Pages: 348
Level: Young Adult
Published: June 14, 2011

Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be captured or caged. When a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby.

But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns to town two years later, deadly surprises await. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.
* ahahaha yeah. It's complex alright. *

Review: 
Let's start this review on a positive note...
I love the cover. 
Yes, I admit. I judge a book by it's cover before I read it. I know its bad but I can't help myself. I pay for it though. Karma bites me in the butt. 
Especially with this book. 


This book was weird.  I wasn't (and still am not) sure if was paranormal or realistic fiction. I found myself getting confused a lot of the time, so it took me a long time to read (about two weeks! That's long!). In the book it would talk about *Minor Spoiler* coming back to life but it wouldn't explain about how. I'm still very confused. *End Minor Spoiler* (highlight if you would like to see). 
Another thing that irked me about this book are the characters. I hated the characters. The main character was flat and boring. I wanted to slap her; put some sense into her. I also didn't like Ruby, the sister. 
You know what? I hated every single character. 
Every single one. 

The writing wasn't bad other than that. It just wasn't enough to override the flaws. 

I might not have liked it as much as I would have because I read The Sharp Time before it. Now that was a good book. 

Oh, who am I kidding, I would have hated this book anyways. 

I often found myself counting the amount of pages I had left to read. This is not good in any situation. 

The book didn't really go anywhere. The climax was really abrupt, like the author didn't really know what to do. 
The ending didn't really solve any problems. It just made me more confused (and more eager to pick up a different book). 


^Exactly. 

Cover: 4/5
Character Rating: 1/5 (at best, unfortunately)
Style: 2/5
Development: 1/5
Overall:
* *






      


2 comments:

  1. Honestly, I actually liked this book. (Possibly because I'm wierd. lol.) I judge book's by thier cover's too. I thinki what made me like this book was how wierd it was. :)

    -The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMAGINARY GIRLS is beautifully written. I usually read an entire book in one or two sittings, but I found myself becoming exhausted after a few chapters of this one and it ended up taking me over a week, reading some each day. I wanted to love it. I sort of do, but it's hard for me to express... Each sentence is like molasses rolling over the town, piece by piece, as Chloe tells her story.

    The relationship between Chloe and her older sister, Ruby, is extraordinary. Stripped down, in a real life setting, it is exactly my experience of being an older sister. However, within the story, with its otherworldly plot and constant mystery, the relationship between the sisters reaches a whole new level of what it is to love and be devoted. Too much, even, but that's what the story is about. It's disturbing, but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message after the beep.
Beeeeeeeep.